Listed below are recommendations for the Midwest Territorial Union (MTU)’s 2021-2022 Competitive Cycle. These recommendations are contingent on permission from state and local government/health agency guidelines that permit play and compliance by club and player members with the return to play (RTP) Stage 5 protocols and all other union rules of competition and eligibility.
For spring 2021, the Midwest strongly recommends scheduling matches every other weekend. If an outbreak occurs at a match, this will allow thirteen (13) days between the matches to allow for quarantine and isolation per CDC recommendations. This will limit cancellations and potential further outbreaks. For the fall of 2021, this requirement will be mandatory.
Competitions/fixture scheduling is limited to clubs that are fully compliant with USA Rugby, Midwest, and LAU RTP Protocols and operate in a geographical area that also corresponds to USAR Stage 5.
Club compliance with the following guidelines is also mandatory:
- All clubs must read and understand the Midwest Return to Play Handbook.
- All clubs must develop and implement a COVID-19 Return to Play Safety Plan and submit that plan to their Local Area Union (LAU) Compliance Officer for approval. These plans should encompass what safety measures the club is implementing for both training sessions and competitions regardless of what USAR RTP Stage the club is operating in. Furthermore, the plan should specifically name a club Compliance Officer who is responsible for their club’s adherence to the safety plan.
- Clubs must continually document training and competition rosters that are submitted to the LAU on a regular (weekly) basis. The MTU has documents publicly available online to assist clubs in this process. The rosters should be available on demand to the LAU, the MTU, and any opponent clubs.
- All players and coaches participating must be registered with USA Rugby via Sportslomo.
- Prior to competing in a match, a club must train for at least three (3) weeks per USAR RTP.
- Clubs should communicate with their LAU Compliance officer to understand where a region is in regards to the USAR RTP Stages. These determinations should be made by LAU officials and not club administrations.
- At both training and competition events, anyone not actively participating in physical activity should be wearing a mask and practicing social distancing. This includes coaches, assistant referees, and substitute players.
- Clubs permitted to compete may only schedule games against clubs who also are sanctioned to play by their local governing body and are currently in USAR Stage 5. No MTU are permitted to compete against clubs who are not sanctioned to train and play.
The following competition schedules should be consider placeholders and subject to change:
2021 Spring XVs
All MTU clubs in good standing per the guidelines indicated above may schedule friendly matches every other week.
2021 Summer 7s
The Midwest Summer 7s Championship qualifiers are conference (East/West) based for 2021 and include three (3) respective qualifiers during the weekends of:
- June 12, 2021
- June 26, 2021
- July 10, 2021
These events will not be put out for bid this year as the Midwest Competitions Committee will be working directly with clubs that manage pitches.
An MTU Championship event for qualifying clubs is tentatively scheduled for July 24, 2021. Qualification and seeding of the event are under discussion. A National 7s Championship is still “To Be Determined” by the Senior Club Council Competitions Committee.
The 2021 Select Sides Calendar will slide this year into late summer 2021. Locations are to be determined.
Listed below are the tentative dates:
- July 31, 2021 – Eastern and Western Conference LAU Tournaments
- August 14, 2021 – East v. West MTU Championship
- November 20, 2021 – Midwest Thunderbird Elites v. TBD
- December 11, 2021 – Midwest Thunderbird Elites v. TBD
Additional assemblies for Midwest Elites TBD.
MTU Championship XVs
The MTU XVs season & championships will span the fall of 2021 and spring of 2022 as a contingency. Midwest Championship dates will be rolling and may vary based on mitigating circumstances to ensure that all members have adequate opportunities to play a full league season if possible. Qualifying matches for each respective league may vary based on field availability and other COVID related factors.
Initial league schedules will be submitted to clubs by July 17, 2021. Revised schedules will be provided based upon need.
Milestone dates include:
Week 1: August 28, 2021
Week 2: September 11, 2021
Week 3: September 25, 2021
Week 4: October 9, 2021
Week 5: October 23, 2021
Week 6: November 6, 2021
Week 7: April 2, 2022*
Week 8: April 16, 2022*
Week 9: April 30, 2022*
Week 10: May 7, 2022*
In order to comply with CDC quarantine recommendations, non-league competitions on off-weekends will not be sanctioned by the Midwest.